Fully 6 Months After Benghazi — 0 “Brought to Justice” — as our Media Falls Fast Asleep

11 Mar

At the half-year point after the USA was attacked overseas in Benghazi, Libya – our American media has allowed this White House to gently put it to bed.

Clearly, there’s damage done to the American political system when our media loses its objectivity, and seems to work in accordance with a White House that can do no wrong. Six months ago, our President conducted a media campaign ahead of the 2012 president election in September and October of 2012 — claiming that the attackers would be “brought to justice”.

Now, on March 11th.. will anyone ask for a status report on that investigation?

Panettabread

Despite the murder of our US Ambassador, a rarity that hadn’t occurred in nearly 40 years across an always dangerous climate in many countries, plus the murders of two Navy Seals, and a 4th American in an assault that would last nearly 8 hours — plus, the furious reaction across the USA, for why it was allowed to occur without defense, more serious reaction nor immediate response for an effort to capture anyone responsible — it seems our media was made to “quell” our outrage, and then calmly ignore the issue.

Despite the testimony at Congressional hearings as near as February 7th (last month) from now former from former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta who said that the President knew of the attacks as they were launched, but retired for the evening. That no one was updated, nor asked him for an update across the near 8 hour assault. (click for video) — there’s no follow-up. Famously, the next day, the President’s re-election campaign had an event  schedule in Las Vegas and it went as planned.

In her testimony two weeks before Panetta, questioned about events/decisions surrounding the 9-11-2012 attack former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton exclaimed: “what difference does it make!?”

Our media has seemed to lay-down obediently, with that directive.

In fact, besides this BRC blog post…you may not hear a reflection on Benghazi today, unless you stumbled upon its Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Benghazi_attack

In the days immediately following, the WH seemed to blame youtube as it released news to all major outlets of an insensitive youTube video to Islamic faith and expressed that “religious tolerance” was a tenet of American life. Our media in large, then reported about this video’s LA producer, reported on its actors’ reactions/regrets for making it – and it resulted in the arrest of its producer (that’s the only person held accountable?). All this for a youTube video that had a total of 155 global website visits, before it was made famous by the media attention. Our US President then went on national TV with David Letterman referring to the same, met with the ladies on ABC’s “The View” and that same day, spoke at the United Nations General Assembly.. again, highlighting religious tolerance and a video, etc.  At the U.N. President Obama stated according to the Wikipedia account: “…there should be no doubt that we will be relentless in tracking down the killers and bringing them to justice.” He referred to “Innocence of Muslims” as “a crude and disgusting video [that] sparked outrage throughout the Muslim world.” He said, “I have made it clear that the United States government had nothing to do with this video, and I believe its message must be rejected by all who respect our common humanity.” He further stated, “There is no video that justifies an attack on an Embassy.”

In the week following the 9-11 attacks, DC officials went on air across media (famously, UN Ambassador Rice on an ABC-TV’s Sunday morning talk show). Our government made its own video which was exported to Afghanistan to promote tolerance. Nearly 10 days after the attacks, Pres. Obama went on Spanish-language TV and mentioned the youTube video saying “natural protests arose because of the…video”. All of this seemed an all-out media campaign by the White House, to shift focus from recognizing and pursuing those responsible for a terror-strike on the 9-11 anniversary.

Two days before the presidential election, while the USA media was more greatly focused, at that time on the aftermath of SuperStorm Sandy, CBS News released a portion of its 9/12 interview with President Obama that it chose not to include/edited from its 9/23 special report. Again from a direct quote on Wiki (as of today) regarding the resulting debate on whether or not, Pres. Obama had recognized the 9-11 murders as a “terrorist attack”: “…President Obama had been saying that he declared the Benghazi attack a terrorist attack since his announcement in the Rose Garden on September 12 and highlighted the newly released video interview with Steve Kroft: “KROFT: Mr. President, this morning you went out of your way to avoid the use of the word terrorism in connection with the Libya Attack, do you believe that this was a terrorism attack? OBAMA: Well it’s too early to tell exactly how this came about, what group was involved, but obviously it was an attack on Americans. And we are going to be working with the Libyan government to make sure that we bring these folks to justice, one way or the other.

While the Congressional hearings seemed to chase its tail on who knew what, when.. and parsed bureaucratic language on circling responsibilities and timelines… and processes of gathering information in real time, etc. etc.
Weeks turned into months.
It’s now March 11th, and 0 have been brought to justice.
It’s March 11th, 6 months to the day.
# # #
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: